07 July 2015

Bubbe and Papa visit and Thanksgiving

We had an interesting time figuring out Spencer's call schedule. It is assigned, but they can trade, which can work out really well. 

In the past I have kind-of been a stickler in wanting to celebrate holidays on their actual day. That is something I have had to work around. (I should be used to it given my history. My birthday dinner and cake once took place in October. Exactly three months after my birthday.) we have celebrated the Fourth of July as a family late, Christmas, Halloween (that was actually the city that postponed trick-or-treating due to weather), so why not Thanksgiving?! Spencer was scheduled to be on call the Friday after the holiday, but it turned out that my parents were thinking of flying in that day. I figured it might work to trade for call on the holiday (Earl was scheduled for Thanksgiving and we were hoping it would help him out. He's always been good for a trade!) and have Spencer post-call Friday and we celebrate then. 

So, I got it all planned out. We made our Thanksgiving menu and I got everything ready. I was actually very prepared and did a lot in advance. 


I think we ended up with everything on our menu! It was delicious. We did change the sweet potato recipe we have been using in recent years to Jen's recipe instead. Basically dessert and absolutely delicious! I prepped almost everything and it was worth it. Mom was trying to convince me to keep things simple and get pre-made stuff, but I would say it was worth the effort. The food was great and the company even better. Always so wonderful to have anybody visit. Especially our parents. 


Rolls made the day before. 


We had way too many!


Jane being Jane. 


Kitchen helpers. Benny and Andy helped crimp the crust for one of the pies. I made a chocolate-pecan (very delicious) and a caramel-pecan pumpkin (maybe even more delicious). I was thinking apple as well and Bubbe took care of those for us. Delicious!!



Our Thanksgiving feast. The kids and I wove placemats for everybody for a little project the day before. They had fun picking out colors. Dad and Papa had blue and white for BYU! We had a lot of fun. Didn't ever get the hand-turkey 
name cards done, but we survived. 


Chris' name (Christian Dirk) comes from his two grandpas. Here he is with Papa. I look forward to having a picture of the three of them together. We are so grateful to have such wonderful men for our boys to look to. 



1 comment:

eden said...

fun! and isn't it grandma / grandma lili & papa now?

note - that's not a question. (: